A unique interactive event to enrich Wikidata of our cultural places!
Cultural Venues Datathon, from April 25 to May 2, 2022
Produced by LaCogency, CAPACOA and with the support of many partners, the Cultural Venues (Wiki)Datathon will bring participants together to work in a relaxed and informal session to populate Wikidata with information about the many cultural venues we know and love.
Cultural venues are an important part of the performing arts ecosystem in Canada
Theatres, concert halls, black boxes, music venues: these buildings located across Canada provide the best possible settings for audiences to experience the outstanding performances our artists can deliver.
However, there is still no comprehensive open database of performing arts buildings. This makes it difficult for these venues and the productions they present to be found online by audiences.
Let’s change that!
Wikidata needs data on your cultural venues!
The Cultural Venues Datathon is being offered in both English and French with 4 separate drop-in sessions dedicated to each language. See the datathon program below.
No previous experience with Wikidata is required. At each session, experienced wikidatians will guide participants on how to populate cultural venue information into Wikidata. This (Wiki)Datathon is intended to be a unifying activity that supports the overall goals of the Wikiproject Cultural venues.
When: Monday, April 25, 2022 to Friday, April 30, 2022 for editing activities and a grand plenary on Monday, May 2, 2022, to close the datathon.
Attendance at every session is not mandatory but for the best datathon experience, we encourage you to join us for the launch and at least one of the editing activity dates. On May 2 we’ll celebrate all our hard work with a presentation of our results.
Here is the schedule of sessions in English.
|April 25||April 26||April 28||May 2|
|3:00-4:30 p.m. (EDT) / 7:00-8:30 p.m. UTC||12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. (EDT) / 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. (UTC)||12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. (EDT) / 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. (UTC)||3:00-3:30 p.m. (EDT) / 7:00-7:30 p.m. UTC|
|Official opening of the Datathon.|
– Presentation of collective objectives
First round of practice:
– Create a venue item and optimize it for discovery (including a focus on geographic metadata and identifiers)
|– Check-in and guided editing|
– How to model building with several performance spaces
|– Check-in and guided editing|
– How to add a photo of a cultural venue
|– Presentation of the collective result of the datathon.|
– Closing of the datathon
Supplementary Cultural Venues Datathon activities
- Wikidata Coffee Breaks hosted by the Bern University of Applied Sciences, April 25 – April 29;
- Faut-il un nouvel élément Wikidata pour décrire une « salle de spectacle » ?, April 26, 3:00-3:30 pm EDT / 19h00-19h30 UTC;
- How to disentangle a Wikidata item describing both a building and an organization, supplementary Cultural Venues Datathon activity, April 27, 9:00-9:45 am EDT / 13:00-13:45 UTC.
All datathon resources, including the “Toolkit” are posted on the Datathon wiki page.
The Cultural Venues Datathon would not be possible without the support of many partners including: